Skip to main content

Change of Place

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls [as they say in Indigo airlines these days....wanting to mk us feel younger!!!]...this is an article I bumped into as I was sifting through my old amipro!!,wordstar and word97 files.....think u ll enjoy the retro matter

had written this sometime early 1998....dont hv records of dates, place most likely Kolkota....guess all wd appreciate why i diligently put the date/place in all my writings now:)

Apr 4, 2010
BBSR
-------
It is difficult to be indifferent to Mumbai City’s pace, liveliness, cosmo culture and professionalism. The infectious charm of the city had rubbed into my system when I decided to shift my base to Calcutta. I was too much hooked to Nariman Point, the Marine Drive, the pubs and discotheques, the late night motor rides along Nepean Sea road and Malabar hills. Not to mention its featherless bipeds, who are a treat to watch. I was so engrossed in living my last days in the city, that, I failed to sit back and apprehend what might happen to me in Calcutta – almost an overgrown village. No night life, laid back life style, bumpy roads and bongness allover.

I got my first shock at the airport. It took me full one hour to get a cab. Oh Gosh! Can you imagine this happening in amchi Mumbai? The jolt announced that I had arrived in Calcutta. Seemingly, asking me to bring back whatever of my mindset had still had remained in Mumbai. The difference was palpable. The ubiquitous yellow and black fiats gave way to the dilapidated ambys. The hustle was missing; the roads seemed quieter, the crowd was thinner, and shops were fewer and farther between. The comparison would be incomplete without the mention of the Mumbaikar’s khichdi Hindi as against the rosogolla variety in Calcutta. The unfamiliarity around plunged me into a state of emptiness. By the time I reached home I was half dazed.

After a few days of getting attuned to the pace, the exasperation was replaced by a more temperate attitude. With time, the mindset and the habit patterns made their own adjustments to the changed environment and Calcutta changed from a sleepy and ‘nothing happens here’ city to warm city which also affords time to pursue ones subtler interests in life. In which other big city can you count on strangers to spend an hour to search for a house, where else would you find free and unsolicited advice on any problem? Also, how many people can care for some lighter interests in a more business like big city.

Calcutta as a city has its own distinctive charm and life. True it has lost a bit of its historical sheen, but the passionate enjoyment of life is difficult to miss. Political activism substitutes heated debates about stock price movements, cricket is replaced by football, local trains (the lifeline of Mumbai) have their counterparts in metro and trams, debates on the corporate world is replaced by that on social issues and din chak music gives way to rabindra sangeet. Only the means are different but life goes on all the same.

Now, with the passage of a few weeks, I’ve perhaps started enjoying the place. I’ve also realised that my initial ‘exasperation’ here was possibly lesser in comparison to the shock that ‘mad rush of bad Mumbai’ had given me in my first few weeks there. On hindsight, it seems it is all about a few weeks of feeling the pulse of a new place before habits and expectations slide into the right groove.

The moral of the story is that unanticipated changes in the externalities lead to uncertainties and surprises. These in turn tend to force changes in certain instincts and beliefs. The greater the ability to appropriately adapt oneself to the new paradigms, faster the transition and lesser any ‘exasperation’.
---
Calcutta
1998

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dura Pahada Sundara [Far-away Mountains are Beautiful]

I realize how seriously we take a place we visit specifically to see it – an event in itself, and how much taken for granted are those places that we can hop in an out with regularity and ease. Interestingly I had never wrote or thought of writing about Puri or Konark or Cuttack. Places for which reams have been and can be written. The history, the culture, the cuisine and the local chutzpah [espl. Puri / Cuttack]. Even more interestingly, I have never pondered enough on these places and their unique niceties to have them simmering in my cerebral consciousness. They are somewhere deep there sedimented at best; and at [likely] worst, I do not have the desired ammunition to do justice to write anything substantial. Probably, I will have to resort to the frivolous flourish of the might of the language as a cover. A point to note - I have never seen the Bali Yatra [Cuttackis don’t faint please]. The Puri beach and temple I have always felt is my backyard [so had the taken for granted attit

Foreign Universities in India: Boon or Bane?

    Dr. Partha S Mohapatra (Originally written in March, 2010)   The cabinet yesterday gave its nod to the “Foreign Universities Bill”. I first read the report on Wall Street Journal about the Indian Governments’ intention to open up the higher education sector to foreign universities [Delhi Seeks to Admit Foreign Universities,  Wall Street Journal June 11, 2009 ].  Subsequently, I read similar reports in other newspapers.  Most of the se reports make a compelling story to allow foreign universities to operate in India. The main argument that is made is on following premises: i)      It will save India about $4 billion in foreign exchange [“Leading foreign institutes may soon be here” Economic Times , 11 Sep 2006”]. ii)    India loses because of brain drain when brilliant people go abroad and study and stay there. iii)   We need foreign investments because the government does not have money needed to invest in higher education and private sector is unwilling

Energising The Employability Magic Of Professional Education

The private engineering colleges and b-schools are going through another bad phase. The overcapacity, because of which many colleges are reeling under significant financial stress, is intriguing when seen against the backdrop of a modest Gross Enrollment Ratio. The reasons are quite straight forward, students enroll into professional education for jobs.  Starting from the mid-1990s, riding on an economy growing at a fast clip with the promise of dollar jobs students thronged the higher education professional courses. When the global economies plateaued and the Indian growth rate isn’t much better, job creation is poor and so also is the demand to join professional courses. The professional education institutes, must know that the role they need to play is to create industry worthy professionals. That needs to be the focus.  For the past 20 years, institutes have focussed on two areas – infrastructure and admission network. This strategy worked, when large organized businesses h